Posted to alt.home.repair
DonC DonC is offline

Default Awning (retractable) Info?

Hi all,

We're located in SE Arizona -- lots of sun, little rain.

We're considering installing a retractable awning on our south facing patio.
We're in a condo so we don't have a nice east-facing patio so south will
have to do. And before anyone springs the "Condominium rules...." issue on
us, rest assured it's not an issue : )

Anyhow, we plan a DIY installation (yes we have the tools and skills : )
but can't seem to find any reviews of various suppliers of such awnings nor
any useful independent installation tips and considerations.

A quick survey of the housing development area turns up several "SunLight"
awnings but it appears they don't offer a DIY package.

We're initially envisioning an 18' by 10' manually operated, soffit mounted
awning -- which matches the norm around here. Our "soffit" consists of 3"
x 8" joists 24" OC.

I'd really appreciate any advise, experiences or leads you DIYers can offer.