Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default repair section of hardwood

samurai wrote:
How do I repair a section of hardwood?

I want to remove the plywood/vinyl, and insert some oak hardwood. I
managed to fine some old hardwood, same width and thickness, but some
of the tongue/groove are damaged on the replacements.

Can I staple the replacements in using 1-9/16 staples??
Can I glue them to the subfloor? And maybe to each other?
How do I fit the last piece in that will be against the wall?

First, of course, prepare the subfloor to be flat, level and even with
the existing section.

Ideally, it would be good to remove some of the short existing pieces
where the floor is cut and work the new pieces in so the patching
pattern isn't so obvious.

To replace, start at the edge away from the wall. It would be easiest
if that is the direction the tongue is facing, but if it's other way
'round, it's possible.

Forget the glue and try to avoid the staples if at all possible--don't
say whether your thinking through the face or edge, but they won't hold
well long-term.

If you have the room, use a power nailer or pneumatic if you have one.
If you don't, for a small area you can drill pilot holes and use cut
nail or nail. Depending on which side you're dealing with, nail through
the corner of the bead or the groove and use a set to seat the nails so
the next will seat. The last section is always the pain..may need to
either cut the bead or take off the bottom side of the groove and face
nail close to the wall where the baseboard/shoe mould will cover.
Sometimes one can put the last two in together in an inverted vee and
work them both down together.

It's just a case of "worrying" it together as you go with a few
judicious tricks here and there...