Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Television: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eeyore hath wroth:

angryspider wrote:

Television: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Television (often abbreviated to TV, T.V., or more recently, tv;
sometimes called telly, the tube, boob tube, or idiot box in British
English)

I have NEVER heard it called an 'idiot box' and I live in Britain. That's not to
say it SHOULDN'T be called that of course.
Graham

I guess you're culturally deprived. In the colonies, specifically the
left coast, I've heard television service and sets called:
idiot box
vidiot box
one eyed idiot
vast wasteland
glass wasteland
commerical-land
televoid
green screen (from early b&w daze)
Hex Hog (in reference to the 6Mhz of occupied bandwidth)
zap box
bird box (satellite TV set top box)
opiate for the masses
brain washer
sync buzz (disorientation caused by watching too much TV)
tele-revision
glass wall (in reference to large HDTV)
teliot (toilet spelled backwards)
(whatever else I forgot...)

There are also some specialized terms, such as:
Pain Pour Vous (in reference to Pay Per View)
Violence On Demand (in reference to Video On Demand)

There were also some odd mutations for the TV acronym such as:
Thought Vacuum
Trash Vehicle
etc

You might want to correct the Wikipedia article (as I'm too lazy).

No technology is considered successful until it's thoroughly abused. I
guess TV is considered successful.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D