Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Joe Joe is offline

Default formula for turning speed?

Thanks Steve!

jc

"Steve Russell" wrote in message
.. .
Hello Joe,

Dale Nish came up with a formula many years ago that seems to work very
well. Here is a link to it:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/wo...the_speeds.pdf

Cheers!

On 10/25/07 9:21 AM, in article
, "Joe"
wrote:

Is there are formula or rough correlation for a starting (roughing down)
speed as it relates to the diameter of the piece being turned? What do
you
use? I have a Jet 1442 (reeves) and if it means i can't safely turn a
piece
on its lowest speed, I'll have to make a design change.

I know there are many factors to consider here, including balance of the
piece being turned, I'm just looking to see if my lathe's low end is in
the
neighborhood.

Thanks,

jc

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html