Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Granite and what you don't know.

On Oct 25, 10:37 am, "Leon" wrote:

I rebuilt a kitchen for a customer, he had a counter top company install
granite counter tops. Unfortunately the installer broke the piece that goes
around the sink. Unfortunately they did not have a piece that was the same
shade. Fortunately they were able to oil that portion of the counter top
and now you cannot tell the difference in the two pieces, even 3 years
later.

Sink cut-outs are the worst in granite... so are cooktops.
I have seen a perfect installation with 4 very professional guys go
'snap' when they removed the bracing AFTER the countertop was in
place.
My supplier now flips the top and CNC's 90-degree grooves and epoxys
1/2" fiberglass cord in around the corners.
He says it helps... but if a 400 pound piece of stone decides to
snap...it will.

Not long ago, a $ 7000.00 (that's SEVEN THOUSAND) top was ruinied by a
ball of plumber's putty. Left an oil stain... and that has happened
more than once in my career.
Those moments make your heart sink into your boots. Luckily, the
problem was at the end of a long stretch of a very popular colour. The
fabricator was able to re-use a big chunk.