Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Sometimes you just get lucky

B A R R Y wrote:
dpb wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:26:58 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Speaking of lawn sprinklers, it was reported that the lawn
sprinklers came on this morning at a home that had burned to the
ground last night here in SoCal.

If the house is gone, where is the sprinkler controller?

Somewhere else, obviously...

--

Wow, you really are a top notch engineer! MIT educated? G

We don't usually have sprinkers in my area, as we don't need them
and
the pipes freeze if not totally empty in the winter. My only
experience is with my mom and dad's homes in FL. Their sprinklers
are controlled by electric devices in the garage.

Where else could a controller be if not in the burnt to the ground
house?

I was actually asking what I thought was a valid question from
non-sprinkler land.

Maybe outside the house attached to a water pipe?

And "burnt to the ground" is generally figurative language. If all
the wood in my house burned to vapor there would still be concrete
remains extending several feet above the ground, and water pipes
filled with water take a great deal more burning than does wood, so
unless falling timber broke one they would likely still be standing,
furthermore the parts of the service entrance for power that are above
ground are metal sheathed so that wiring mught also survive. If I had
indoor sprinkler controllers they would likely be right next to the
breaker panel in the cellar.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)