Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default OT: Dallas machinist 2, Bad guys 0

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 23:31:02 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:14:02 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

snip

I have high hopes for the Internet in the long run, as a medium that will
give us a lot more inside news. I'm losing faith in the mainstream media
at
the same time we have all these new resources. If it wasn't just so damned
full of phony and misleading crap, it would be great as it is.

Full of crap? Y'mean, like the TV, newspapers, magazines, and movies?

No, like the Internet as it is. Like the stories we see pasted here from the
partisan "news" sites. If a commercial news organization tried those stunts
they'd be crucified and probably would be run out of business. On a website,
they just ignore it and then do it again. You've seen it; we've all seen it.

They do pull -exactly- those same stunts, only they're a bit more
subtle about it.

The trouble I have with the mainstream media is that they duck subjects,
believe the government sources, and pile on to each others' stories.
The days of tough investigative journalism seem to be gone, mostly because
they're trying to run the newsrooms too lean.

Yeah, likely. I read an article about the media -causing- events, too.
IIRC, it was from Cialdini's _Persuasion_. Once a national TV station
broadcasts the crash of an airplane, two more related incidents happen
within the coming week. It's things like this which make me believe
more in the Indian philosophy that we're making all of this up,
creating our physical selves from thought vibrations, affecting
reality by our beliefs, etc.

Is the Internet any different, other than our being able to actually
find all that crap so quickly?

Yeah, it's a lot different, and a lot worse. It's so consistently bad, in
fact, that we're becoming numb to it. It seems to be a new standard to
expect bull****, and to be surprised when you see something that isn't.

Whaddya mean "new"? I've felt that way so long it seems normal to me.
sigh

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck