Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Bridgeport question

Rob Fraser wrote:
Gunner-

If I understand this correct from your description- pull the four
vertical bolts holding the head to the base (Head holding the quill with
rack gear rail- base with pinion gear. Lift directly vertical, clean the
internal surfaces of the base that holds the quill and reinstall...

There are only 3 of these bolts. You have access to the nuts,
the bolts are in a round T-slot in the belt housing. If you
have a way to lift it straight up, like an engine hoist, you can
pull it motor and all. You have to lift carefully straight up
so as not to bend the upper part of the spindle.

Once the belt housing is removed, (and do it completely so you
don't risk bumping something and bending the spindle) then
remove the skirt with 2 screws in the top of the quill. Block
up the spindle to prevent it from falling, and remove the two
screws next to the feed handle on the right side. The
counterspring is in this, and it will unwind as soon as you take
the screws out. Then, you should be able to remove the cover
and pinion as one piece out the right side of the head.
The quill can now be dropped out the bottom of the main housing.
(Oh, you have to get the stop ring off the front, too.)
Do I remove it completely or just enough vertical lift to access the
bore to clean it of funk?

You want to remove the belt housing entirely, so as not to have
it hanging by the spindle. I'm not sure if there is a reason
you can't lift the spindle out the top, but maybe it will bind
going that way. I have always dropped them out the bottom, the
normal direction they extend. Maybe that is because the feed
gear is in the way.
If I go too far and it pops out of the bore am I
going to have a problem reinstalling it or just let it hunt the first tooth
on the rack and pinion, drop in into place and re-torque the four bolts. I
have a nylon sling and locking vicegrips for sheetmetal so I can control
slipping of the head. Am I on page with this operation?

As I say above, you can't get the quill out the top without
disassembling stuff you don't want to mess with. I am not sure
whether the rack teeth go all the way to the top of the quill,
maybe they do. If so, you don't have to pull the pinion, but
you probably do have to unscrew the plate around the feed handle
so you don't break the counterspring. You would be winding it
down well past where it normally goes.

You still have to pull the belt housing to remove the quill
skirt. Maybe when factory fresh this will just slip through the
bore, but not after the machine has been used a lot.

Jon