Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default OT: Dallas machinist 2, Bad guys 0

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:14:02 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
.. .

snip

=========
GOOD POINTS!!!!

And exactly were the elites [we?] go off the rails on everything
from monitary policy and minimum wage to CCW laws and social
engineering.

We need to update the catch phrase from "show me the money" to
"show me the results," and follow through with "no results" = "no
[more] money."

Yeah. We'd end up with a LOT less government and no War on Drugs, War
on Terror, War on whatever else, no more bridges to nowhere, no more
Navy docks on closed bases, etc. That would be a lot more cost
effective for the USA. Maybe we could even afford a better military as
a result. It's great that they've gone to commercial suppliers of
computers, clothing, etc. That's saving a BUNDLE!

Since misuse of statistics has been around at least long enough to have
produced a famous quip from Mark Twain, we've been suffering from it for a
long time. It's a shame because it's one of the most useful tools anyone has
ever invented.

They sure can be!

One problem is increasing governmental/corporate secrecy and
media censorship. Two examples, the supressed airline safety
survey and the non-news of the Dupont loss [ c. 100+ millions
actual + 100 million$ punative] for the environmental damages
they caused in WV.

I have high hopes for the Internet in the long run, as a medium that will
give us a lot more inside news. I'm losing faith in the mainstream media at
the same time we have all these new resources. If it wasn't just so damned
full of phony and misleading crap, it would be great as it is.

Full of crap? Y'mean, like the TV, newspapers, magazines, and movies?
Is the Internet any different, other than our being able to actually
find all that crap so quickly?

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck