Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] somewildmonkey@yahoo.com is offline

Default Mechanical Aptitude Test

Scored 480.

I missed the one regarding the normally aspirated engine. I thought
long and hard about it because I considered it ambiguous. I know this
has been discussed here but this is my take:

The airflow is not caused just by atmospheric pressure alone, nor by
the vacuum created within the cylinder alone. It's the differential
in pressure which causes the airflow. So, to me, although neither of
those two choices were precise, it had to be one or the other. I
guessed wrong :-)

For that matter, you could even say it's caused by gravity since
without gravity there would be no atmosphere nor atmospheric
pressure :-) So the answer should really be (a)(b) and (c)

The other one I missed was the one with the various drive train
components. I knew which way all the gears were spinning but had
trouble with the terminology of the labeling.

- MB