Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT: Dallas machinist 2, Bad guys 0

"RMDumse" wrote in message
ups.com...

snip

No, I don't expect you can imagine living here. One of the things I
mentioned to the mayor in the letter with the 45 lbs of glass, was, I
felt safer in a third world country (PI where I started a PCB layout
design company) than I did in Dallas at the time.

But if you can't imagine it, you can't imagine what a state of mind
James Walton was in, either. Besides just getting this off my chest by
complaining about it, I hope I can impart the idea that James deserved
better treatment at the hands of the news. If any of you think he was
over reacting, or playing cowboy, or goes around armed to the teeth
and bragging about his needed killin' job, you need to try on his
shoes. Or mine. Or my wife's. Because if you can't understand the
situation out here, you can't understand how patient and reasonable
James has been, and why when they are stealing food out of his
refrigerator (one of the things he remarked to me about having
happened), the problem is way beyond just an issue of just defending
property, but they are encroaching on life, liberty, and literally the
pursuit of his next meal.

Randy

Well, at least you're getting a chance to get it off your chest. Even after
living where I do for 29 years, though, and loving the place, I'd get out of
here in a heartbeat if it ran down the way you're saying Dallas has run
down. I might tell myself I was taking a stand but I also would know that
it's a losing battle if I have to arm myself just to have a chance of
surviving it. You can't turn a whole social community around with a gun.
Meantime, life can just pass you by while you're manning the Alamo.

Again, I hope things get better and that you stay under the gunfire. Nobody
needs the stress imposed by that much danger, particularly when we're
middle-aged or more.

--
Ed Huntress