Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Phases?

Chas wrote:
On 24 Oct, 22:19, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Working for a regular customer in an industrial unit today & he
asked me to check why a 230v socket wasn't working. Socket tester
showed no live but all wires were properly in place. No mcb tripped
on the panel.

Found another socket on an adjacent wall not working either, but
sockets in between them work fine.

There is metal trunking running all around the unit just over head
height & conduit running down to sockets. Since its a cash & carry
type place I couldn't get to a lot of the sockets to check them
because of the display shelving. Must be at least 20 double sockets
though judging by the conduit drops.

Big scary cabinet on wall with stickers saying 415v and 100 amps -
not going anywhere near that!

I'm guessing, but are industrial units wired up with some 230v
sockets running from each of the three phases? Is this to spread
the load out?

Seems logical to me if some sockets are fine & others not. Is every
third socket from phase A, every forth socket from B etc?

He is getting a sparky in, but I'm curious.

Leave it to the sparks, what do you know. You is only a handyman.

But a handyman who likes to know about these things..............

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk