Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Phases?

Working for a regular customer in an industrial unit today & he asked me to
check why a 230v socket wasn't working. Socket tester showed no live but
all wires were properly in place. No mcb tripped on the panel.

Found another socket on an adjacent wall not working either, but sockets in
between them work fine.

There is metal trunking running all around the unit just over head height &
conduit running down to sockets. Since its a cash & carry type place I
couldn't get to a lot of the sockets to check them because of the display
shelving. Must be at least 20 double sockets though judging by the conduit
drops.

Big scary cabinet on wall with stickers saying 415v and 100 amps - not going
anywhere near that!

I'm guessing, but are industrial units wired up with some 230v sockets
running from each of the three phases? Is this to spread the load out?

Seems logical to me if some sockets are fine & others not. Is every third
socket from phase A, every forth socket from B etc?

He is getting a sparky in, but I'm curious.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk