Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] eselk@surfbest.net is offline

Default Having trouble soldering copper pipe

On Oct 23, 7:15 pm, "Don Young" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I'm redoing my shower, all 1/2" copper pipes. I've done two couplers,
1 elbow, and 3 threaded connectors... and they all went fine. Just
one other elbow had a small leak. I tried at least 10 times last
night and continue to have leaks. Maybe I just need to try again
tonight with a fresh mind, but...

... snip...

If the fit-up is too tight, solder can not flow properly into the joint.
This can be a problem is the pipe is slightly oval or has a bent place.

Thanks to all who replied. I got it last night! Yeah!

I wish I could say for sure what the problem was, but I ended up doing
pretty much everything that was recommended in one shot, so not sure
what really helped the most. I think part of the problem, and why I
had to try so many times, was that after it was leaking the first
time, I was probably trying to hard on all of the next attempts
assuming that something was wrong. In the end, I just said to myself,
"The other fittings went on fine, so stop trying so hard and just give
it one more shot, just pretend it is the first time your doing this
one, and that it was never leaking."... I just went back to basics,
and didn't try too hard, and it worked. Plus I opened the faucet,
used sand paper, bread, and several other tips as well, so was
probably a combination of everything.

Thanks again!

p.s.-Could have been the fishing gods helping me out as well, because
of the 1 day delay, it could time out that I'll be waiting for
waterproofer to dry on Saturday instead of Friday, so maybe I'll get
to go fishing after all =]