Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default JDS Dust Force or Harbor Freight dust collector?

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 21:46:53 -0500, HerHusband wrote:

I'm looking into buying my first dust collector (small garage shop, one
tool at a time).

The 2HP Harbor Freight DC seems to get good reviews, but it only has a 30
micron bag, and I've read reports that it can be loud? It also doesn't
appear it can be rewired for 220V. Also, I don't have a lot of confidence
in Harbor Freight products.

I just ran across the JDS 1-1/2 HP Dust Force. It has a 1 micron bag, and
the reviews I have read seem to indicate it is fairly quiet.

The JDS is only about $100 more from Amazon, but by the time I pay shipping
on the HF and buy a better bag, there's not a huge price difference.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Anthony

I don't know anything about the Jet, but I've been using the HF DC unit for 3 or
4 years now and it works well for me..
The bags seem to work fine.. My shop has lots of natural light and I've never
seen dust from the bags in a sunbeam or whatever..

The main addition I'd recommend to it, and probably any DC you get, is the DC
muffler from PSI... It really quieted the unit down... My shop has 10' ceilings
and ceramic tile floors, so you can imagine how load things are in there.. but
after adding the muffler, you can talk to someone without yelling again.. ahhhh

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/sup1000.html

OH.. as to the 30 micron bags....
I use the Jet air filter that is something like 1 micron on the ceiling over the
DC and it very seldom needs filter cleaning, (I'm working in the shop every
day), so the bags work fine for me, I guess..YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing