Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Potter Steve  Potter is offline

Default freeze proofing

On Oct 24, 5:34 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I need to set up a quick and easy way to protect a dishwasher, a clothes
washer and a water softener from freezing...

My first plan is to solder a Tee and two valves in the water line near each
unit. Switch valves so that an air hose can pressure blow unit out. (I'll be
doing this through out the water system to blow all water lines out) Or, do
I need to get more fancy and figure some way to pump RV antifreeze in?
Anybody got an idea on a quick easy way to pump a couple quarts in?

Karl

For the washer and dishwasher I would blow out the lines as you
suggest (make sure they are at the appropriate point in the cycle that
the inlet solenoid is open) Then I would put some RV antifreeze
inside each of them and cycle them so they began to drain, thus
distributing the antifreeze through the drain system. As far as the
water softener, I have no idea. I am not very familiar with how they
work.

Steve