Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default freeze proofing

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 05:34:27 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I need to set up a quick and easy way to protect a dishwasher, a clothes
washer and a water softener from freezing...

My first plan is to solder a Tee and two valves in the water line near each
unit. Switch valves so that an air hose can pressure blow unit out. (I'll be
doing this through out the water system to blow all water lines out) Or, do
I need to get more fancy and figure some way to pump RV antifreeze in?
Anybody got an idea on a quick easy way to pump a couple quarts in?

Karl

When we winterize our cabin, the drill is:

* shut off water at source. Flush toilet to drain tank
* open all valves and faucets. Water drains out of the lowest valve,
an outside drain valve that is there for that purpose
* turn off water heater and drain
* pour RV juice into anything with residual standing water: traps,
appliances, commodes.

I don't know if blowing would clear the softener or not. Culligan
comes and pulls ours for the winter, brings another in the spring.
Most folks there do it that way. Culligan comes round and replaces the
tank about once a month during the season, then I suppose they
regenerate them at their plant in Wilmar. Cost isn't much more than
salt would be (the well water is quite hard), and it's a lot more
convenient.