Gunner

Default How to choose between using collets and endmill holders for mill?

On Mon, 24 May 2004 12:42:43 -0500, "Pete Bergstrom"
wrote:

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
A rule of thumb that has served me well is: Ok to use collets for holding
endmills under 3/4 inch. Above that, endmill holders are required.

Thanks, that helps. I also found a note from Forest Addy on
www.practicalmachinist.com describing how toolholders wear.

I ended up buying a collet holder so I'll use that for the smaller size
tools.

Thanks,
Pete

Ive spun more than a few endmills in my 30 taper milling collets. The
engagement surface is pretty short. Some have longer "bores" than
others, so when looking for a collet holder...be advised.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell