Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default OT. Workplace lighting regs

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
Been asked by several firms on my local (large) industrial estate to
change fluorescent tubes & light bulbs. Easy work & good money - Wickes
charge £3:29 for a 36w x 4' tube - which I can buy for £1:20 from TLC, so
a good mark up on the bits as well..

Seems like two sets of regs are in place. Effin Safety "The Work at
Height Regulations 2005" seems to prevent them standing on a chair to
change a bulb, let alone a step ladder.

Common sense should stop anyone from standing on a chair to change a light
bulb. The Work at Height Regulations do not stop anyone from using a step
ladder. The requirement is that they carry out a risk assessment and only
use a ladder if there is no safer option available. The type of ladder is
also relevant. A H&SE inspector will be looking for one that is properly
rated for the job and stable at the height it is to be used at. I have a
Class 1 rated ladder with stabilising and levelling outriggers to keep them
happy. BTW you are covered by the regulations too, so you should have a
written risk assessment to cover any work you do at height.

There also seems to be some regulation about office lighting, so if a bulb
fails, they can't change it - but it has to be replaced.

I don't really understand what you are saying, but, if they think they can't
use a stepladder, they have probably misinterpreted the 2006 changes to the
Building Regulations. To reduce energy use in offices and to reduce computer
screen glare, they require a change from direct lighting controlled by banks
of switches near an entrance to indirect lighting controlled by ceiling
sensors or by local switching. However, that is a standard for new installs
and does not apply to existing installations.

Colin Bignell