Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default Installing 1/2' thick ceramic tile over oak floor

On Oct 23, 10:56 pm, "Noozer" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message

oups.com...

A few weeks ago I asked if I could tile over oak floor area in my
foyer 4'X15' and everyone suggested using some kind of underlayment.
Recently my wife and I picked out a tile that is 1/2" thick and is 11
3/4" X 11 3/4". This tile looks a lot more beefy than ordinary tiles
and of course costs twice as much. Now the problem is because it's
1/2" thick it would be a problem heightwise even if I used a 1/4"
backerboard. So my question is will this tile be less likely to have
problems if I go over the wood floor because it's so thick even if I
screwed down the floor at every joist.
By the way my combined subfloor and hardwood thickness is 1 1/2".

What condition is the original floor in? If it's in decent shape I would be
very hesitant to cover it at all, or at least to permanently marr it up.

The floor is kind of marred up already. I removed the old tile and
1/4" plywood that was on it originally. Structurally its fine.
We have oak floors throughout the first floor, but we liked it better
to have tile in this entryway because it was easier to clean plus the
tile floor continued into the kitchen, which I am remodeling.