Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default Installing 1/2' thick ceramic tile over oak floor

A few weeks ago I asked if I could tile over oak floor area in my
foyer 4'X15' and everyone suggested using some kind of underlayment.
Recently my wife and I picked out a tile that is 1/2" thick and is 11
3/4" X 11 3/4". This tile looks a lot more beefy than ordinary tiles
and of course costs twice as much. Now the problem is because it's
1/2" thick it would be a problem heightwise even if I used a 1/4"
backerboard. So my question is will this tile be less likely to have
problems if I go over the wood floor because it's so thick even if I
screwed down the floor at every joist.
By the way my combined subfloor and hardwood thickness is 1 1/2".