Posted to alt.home.repair
hands on hands on is offline

Default cracked concrete slab new home

On Oct 23, 4:36 pm, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 07:18:13 -0700, hands on
wrote Re cracked concrete slab new home:

On Oct 23, 1:21 am, BobK207 wrote:
On Oct 22, 1:08 pm, hands on wrote:

I purchased a new home in spring 2005 in Leland,NC. Since then I was
replacing the flooring and found 5 10 foot long cracks in my on ground
poured concrete slab. I also have 6 vertical cracks on the outside of
my slab between ground level and the start of the siding.
The builder (Veranda Homes LLC ) tells me these are normal and only
offered to fill in the cracks. One crack is 1/4 inch wide and the rest
are larger than hairline. 2 of the cracks are continuing in a straight
line and do not look like "normal shrinkage cracks" . My back patio
vinyl framed sliding door is out of square also along with having
drywall screws poping out through the drywall 2 1/2 years later.
Do you think I should have a structural engineer look at the house?
I wanted to sell this house but I think a home inspector/ appraiser
will question all my external foundation cracks.
you can see pics hehttp://home.ec.rr.com/yankee/

OP-

It is difficult to scale the cracks in your photos (a tape measure
would have been a good idea).

Concrete cracks.

The cracks look pretty normal for slab on grade construction.

I don't see any 1/4" cracks.

If it will make you feel better , hire a civil / structural engineer.

cheers
Bob

I have a foundation repair company coming to look at it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the said it needed a "repair".

I have found from my immediate neighbors that they are having issues
with there flooring like cracking builder installed tile, builder
installed cheap imitation hardwood flooring flexing and making noises
when it flexes (walking on it).My builder is not cooperative, he has
the know it all attitude and if one of his handymen can't fix it-oh
well. Would my local town building inspector have my soil survey info?