Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus705 Ignoramus705 is offline

Default Quincy 10 HP compressor and VFD

On 2007-10-24, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus705 wrote:

The 10 HP compressor is now in my yard. Looking good, but needs a
little cleaning.

I will hopefully receive the VFD on Friday or so. It is a Siemens SED2
18.5 kW rated drive. Assuming it works, I have to set its parameters
and here's where I need a little bit of wisdom.

Specifically, my question is how do I set the acceleration ramp-up so
that it works nicely with the unloaders. My own thinking is that I
should accelerate slowly almost up to the speed when unloaders kick
in, and then accelerate as fast as I can once unloaders do kick in and
the pump starts pumping. Any idea what is the speed when unloaders
kick in?

I'd be tempted to call Quincy and ask them.

Joe Gwinn

I called Siemens actually, their engineer did not seem like the utmost
expert in the field, but he said that it will probably work. I will
see. I am going to post a separate message about how I ran this Quincy
today.