Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rob Fraser Rob Fraser is offline

Default Bridgeport question

Gunner-

If I understand this correct from your description- pull the four
vertical bolts holding the head to the base (Head holding the quill with
rack gear rail- base with pinion gear. Lift directly vertical, clean the
internal surfaces of the base that holds the quill and reinstall...

Do I remove it completely or just enough vertical lift to access the
bore to clean it of funk? If I go too far and it pops out of the bore am I
going to have a problem reinstalling it or just let it hunt the first tooth
on the rack and pinion, drop in into place and re-torque the four bolts. I
have a nylon sling and locking vicegrips for sheetmetal so I can control
slipping of the head. Am I on page with this operation?

Thanks again!

Rob