DoN. Nichols

Default Some Dumb Boring Questions

In article ,
DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article ,
FLowen wrote:
Newbie has some dumb (for anyone who knows about boring) questions. I
am using an off-set boring head (APT) with "spoon type" cutters

[ ... ]

4) Does anyone have any suggestions rpm and quill feed rates
for what I'm describing? Without knowing any better, I would tend to
use 300-400 rpm and feed by feel.

400 RPM with a 0.750" hole works out to 942 SFM, which sounds
high for HSS on a carbon steel, though it might be reasonable with
brazed carbide boring bars -- if they are not too hardened in the necks.
I've seen those break right at the skinny part with what I considered a
fairly light load.

Oops -- I forgot the conversion from inches to feet in the
above. Make that 78.5 SFM. :-) Go with the HSS, unless your heat
treatment makes the workpiece too hard. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564