Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default OT: Dallas machinist 2, Bad guys 0

In article , "Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article , "Ed Huntress"
wrote:
[...]

Sure. But it didn't happen all of a sudden, like the CCW law going into
effect and Texans going out in large numbers and getting permits.

Right there are a couple of the additional factors. Sure, the law going
into
effect was a sudden event. But what about permit applications? Did those
instantaneously soar the moment the law took effect, or did they increase
gradually over time? What about increased gun purchases by CCW holders?
Was
that a sudden event, too, or was that gradual over time?

In the news articles they reported that it was a gold rush. I saw one number
at a gun site, so don't count on it, but it was 190,000 at the end of two
years. One assumes they either have a gun or are about to buy one when they
get a permit. I'm sure that's the case in most instances, but there also are
exceptions.

Well, that's the kind of additional information I was looking for. Having that
certainly strengthens your case considerably -- my point is that without it,
and other data like it, you don't have as much of a case as you think.

Don't forget what the issue is here, Doug. The claim was that the homicide
rate went down dramatically in the first two years of the CCW law.

OK, if that's the case -- I'll stand corrected. I thought we were discussing
the claim that the homicide rate went down *because*of* the CCW law.

That's
the primary thing I've been discussing. As for the general efficacy of CCW
laws, that's a much bigger question.

--
Regards,