Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RMDumse RMDumse is offline

Default OT: Dallas machinist 2, Bad guys 0

On Oct 23, 2:41 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
Right there are a couple of the additional factors. Sure, the law going into
effect was a sudden event. But what about permit applications? Did those
instantaneously soar the moment the law took effect, or did they increase
gradually over time? What about increased gun purchases by CCW holders? Was
that a sudden event, too, or was that gradual over time?

Doug and later I see Richard have the right idea on the statistics and
what really happened about CCH in Texas.

As is so often the case, the law lags the fact. The laws followed what
the people enacted by voting with their behavior. I started carrying
concealed in 1990 after my shoot out on the front steps. However, by
1996 my need to carry was declining and I was unwilling to take the
risk of being "caught" and "procsecuted" doing what I was sure I had a
constitutional right to do anyway. I passed the CCH test and training
in 1997, but never sent it in to be filed with the state.

The law passed in 1995 because of the influence of the October 1991
shooting in Kileen by George Henard. (The guy who taught my class was
one of the senators who proposed the law. I have that correlation from
a first hand source.)

See also:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby%27s_massacre

Suzanna Huff (to become a state representative because of this)
watched her parents be killed in front of her eyes, with her handgun
out in her car. Point is, it was illegal to carry in her car, but she
did, however, she was intimidated out of carrying it into the
restaraunt.

Likewise, in the same period, I was packing when I was coming and
going around my building. So, Ed, if you take those statistics, that
Texans began carrying concealed or not in the early 90's and rerun
your statistics, you may find fact of carry happened before the law,
and corresponds perfectly with that dip in crime which otherwise makes
less sense.

Not that I suspect you will take the anecdotal evidence of two
documented cases, Suzanne and I, as worthy of note.

Randy