Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Timed Interference?

Smitty Two hath wroth:

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
The FCC will send you a color broshure detailing several mostly
useless options. Basically, unless you can identify the source, and
they're obviously in violation of some rule or reg, you're on your
own.

Correction: Even if you can identify the source, you're on your own. My
neighbor at work uses a 6000 watt amp on his CB radio. He talks to
people halfway across the country when the atmospheric conditions are
right. Yes, it interferes with things in our shop.

I called the FCC. They said they don't have the time or manpower to
track down violators. I said, no tracking down needed. I'm next door. I
know the name, the address, the phone number. They said, well, go talk
to him yourself. We don't enforce things like that.

All too true and correct. From recent experience, the FCC will do
nothing unless either the correct politician is involved, or that it
involves national security (terrorism). We were getting inteference
from fishermen operating "modified" marine, ham, and commerical
radios. When in the area, they would severely interfere with local
ham repeaters. The FCC did nothing. However, at one point, they
landed on one of the channels used by the local sheriff. Suddenly,
there was interest, action, etc. The result was one person in a van,
shows up in the middle of the afternoon (when the fishermen were not
active), does 30 minutes of listening, doesn't hear a thing, and turns
around to go back home. Upon investigation, it seems that he was only
allocated enough funding by Dept of Homeland Security to make the one
afternoon trip. So much for the war on terrorism.

I have other other horror stories, but that aformentioned is the most
recent. Not only does enforcement require politics and terrorism, but
money is also a great inducer. The FCC does not directly enforce a
"notice of apparent liability" (which incidentally is forfeiture
without a trial). That job goes to the justice department, which
simply isn't interested in collecting fines that cost more to collect
than they collect. So, the FCC has gone on a concientious program of
ever increasing fines, sufficient to get the attention of the supremes
on charges of "cruel and unusual punnishment". The JD is not going to
collect a few thousand from your neighbor, when they can go after
broadcasters and cellular providers, that take in millions. See the
amount of the fines at the FCC Enforcement Burro web pile:
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/

Anyway, tell your neighbor that the feds monitor home electrical usage
and that anyone using unusually large amounts if probably growing
drugs indoors. Also, tell him that he's running an "alligator".
That's a radio that has a big mouth and small ears. It helps if you
speak the language.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D