Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rob Fraser Rob Fraser is offline

Default Bridgeport question

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:16:24 -0500, "RDF"
wrote:

Is there anything that would create and overly tight condition where the
feed arm is really, really tight and hard to depress to get the tooling to
move. I tried another machine the other day and it was like butter. Mine
requires quite a bit of effort to lower and raise the handle. I keep the
oil caps filled and run it up-and down regularly when not in use. I see no
pitting or rust anywhere. Is there something simple I'm missing?
Any help is appreciated.

Rob

Talking about the quill being difficult to move up and down?

You got chips between the casting and the quill. Unfortunately all to
common and requires removing the head usually.

Try spritzing lube in the quill behind the depth stop.

Gunner

I was afraid of that. There was a lot of grease build up in there. Is this
a big deal to do? Would scoring be evident on the ram? I shot it full of
brake-clean a while ago to clean it up and some real funky stuff came out of
the bottom including metal after working it up and down. I thought I got it
all but it seems not. Is there a manual besides the stock setup manual that
would assist in this project you know of? Also- just got the airline
tickets for December. Can't wait to meet face to face!!

Thanks,

Rob