Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rob Fraser Rob Fraser is offline

Default Bridgeport question

"Rob Fraser" FraserRacing"AT"RobFraser.Net wrote in message
. ..

"Wes" wrote in message
"RDF" wrote:

Is there anything that would create and overly tight condition where the
feed arm is really, really tight and hard to depress to get the tooling
move. I tried another machine the other day and it was like butter. Mine
requires quite a bit of effort to lower and raise the handle. I keep the
oil caps filled and run it up-and down regularly when not in use. I see
no
pitting or rust anywhere. Is there something simple I'm missing?
Any help is appreciated.

Loosen the four face bolts that allow head to rotate sideways and see if
it
gets easier.

Wes

I'm on it I'll give it a shot and drop a note. Thanks Wes.

Rob

Wes,

Tried the face bolts, I originally set them to 15.0 ft. lbs and I
loosened them, even threw on some never-seize just now and retourqed them
from 7 lbs up to 15. it made no difference at all. I don't know if pulling
the feed arm apart is a good idea at all. (I have very limited knowledge of
the internals and know when I'm over my head). There is no scoring on the
ram to indicate there is something physically in the way. Now I don't need
to really pull down hard to move the ram but my friend who owns a custom
chopper shop used mine and made the comment as his was down for a move and I
tried his and it was night and day. Same model and all. His was really easy
mine took considerably more pressure downwards and I just lift the table in
critical movements as I don't have a DRO anyhow. I use the dial indicator
for elevation. That wheel is super-easy to move just to give you an idea
of what's going on.... The worse part is I just got a new house with a six
car garage and I have to move the ******* again!

Thanks,

Rob