Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default OT - Home-made helicopters hit northern Nigeria

Jon Anderson wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

When leaving the top of a tall
building in a small chopper, there's a bit of a thrill when entering
air space with no building under it. It's a bit of a hoot watching
the faces of passengers who've never experienced that.

My dad did some flying for Air America in Laos in the late 50's. There
was one strip that on a hot day, even his Helio Courier had trouble
lifting off from. Luckily there was a cliff at the end of the runway,
and he'd just drive off the end, getting enough airspeed to fly on the
way down.

He said this was a real E-ticket ride for people that had never
experienced it!

I've had way more hours of flight training in a
light sport airplane than I'd want to admit.
None of it came even remotely close to the gut-
wrenching thrill of an autorotation landing in
an R-22....