Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rob Fraser Rob Fraser is offline

Default Bridgeport question

"Ignoramus705" wrote in message
On 2007-10-23, RDF wrote:

"Ignoramus705" wrote in message
On 2007-10-23, RDF wrote:
Is there anything that would create and overly tight condition where
the
feed arm is really, really tight and hard to depress to get the tooling
move. I tried another machine the other day and it was like butter.
Mine
requires quite a bit of effort to lower and raise the handle. I keep
the
oil caps filled and run it up-and down regularly when not in use. I see
no
pitting or rust anywhere. Is there something simple I'm missing?
Any help is appreciated.

Did you maybe use the little lever to lock the quill? On the bottom
right side of the head. Sometimes it locks up because you hit it with
an elbow without noticing etc

Checked it- Nothing there but two bolts on each side of the head for it
rotate.

Look lower than that.

Nothing apparent like a lock lever on both sides. I just ran out
there again to double check... The only thing that makes any change is
the
clicking when depressing the fine feed adjustment on the facing left
side.

Do you know where the lever is that would lock the vertical position
of the quill? Have you checked it?

Also- check you Email I sent you something on the AWS show last
night.

Rob, somehow or other, I do not have it.

That I don't know sir. I must be missing it and it's probably right in front
of me and I can't find it in the manual. Other than the four long bolts, I
don't see anything that would have tension locks on it. There is a blind pin
all the way at the bottom of the quill's base but no adjustment or SHCS or
Allen opening on it. I'll resend the E-mail to your Algebra account right
now.

Thanks again!

Rob