DoN. Nichols

Default HELP: Single Point Thread Cutting

In article ,
Rob McDonald wrote:
Greg Menke wrote in
:

This one needs to be close fitting and smooth running so that wouldn't do
here. Besides, this is a point of honor now :-) I want to figure out what I
am doing wrong and make a good thread.

Hmm ... the needs specified above, plus the pitch makes it sound
as though you are making a micrometer thimble of some sort or other. If
you don't need the wear features of a hardenable steel (where you
ideally cut the threads oversized, harden, and then grind the threads),
and if you don't need to weld it, I would strongly suggest that you
contact one of the online metal vendors and get some 12L14. Get more
than you need -- you'll find other projects for it, and you'll love
working with it.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564