Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Water shut off for shower faucet replacement

wrote:
Hi all - I need to replace the hot water faucet in my shower stall.
This weekend, I turned off the main water valve for the house (the
cold water line into the hot water heater doesn't have an operational
shut-off valve) and turned on the the hot water (in the shower) to let
the lines drain. BUT it appeared to be draining from the hot water
tank too. Will it drain the entire tank? I had thought that without
pressure, it would only drain the lines that had water in it. It
seems a waste to drain the entire tank. Thoughts?

thanks for all your help in advance!

Water flows downhill. Is your water heater above the shower?

You need not waste the water. Ten five-gallon buckets should do the trick.
You can get eight or nine flushes out of the stored water. Or empty one
bucket in the tub (plus hot water) for a bath.