Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cracked concrete slab new home

"hands on" wrote in message
..
The builder (Veranda Homes LLC ) tells me these are normal and only
offered to fill in the cracks. One crack is 1/4 inch wide and the rest
are larger than hairline. 2 of the cracks are continuing in a straight
line and do not look like "normal shrinkage cracks" . My back patio
vinyl framed sliding door is out of square also along with having
drywall screws poping out through the drywall 2 1/2 years later.
Do you think I should have a structural engineer look at the house?
I wanted to sell this house but I think a home inspector/ appraiser
will question all my external foundation cracks.
you can see pics he
http://home.ec.rr.com/yankee/

Some cracks are normal. I have a couple of hairline cracks in mine and they
have not moved in 29 years. 1/4" may be a bit more than usual, but it is not
going to fall apart either. The slab is just that, not part of the
foundation and footings. Put you mind at ease and call a pro to see if it
should be investigated further.