Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke Hawke is offline

Default Lead (Pb) price continues to skyrocket

"Wes" wrote in message
"Hawke" wrote:

I can understand the price of brass and lead going through the roof. They
are going through unreal amounts of ammunition in Iraq. The ammo

producers
are having a hard time keeping up. I tried to buy 2000 .38 caliber lead
bullets from my regular supplier last month and they didn't have any,
haven't had any for a long time, and don't know when they will get more.
They blamed it on the war, which is probably right. I have seen the price
for .45 ACP lead bullets go up just about every time I reorder. A year or

so
ago I was paying something like four or five cents a bullet. I just got a
1000 bullets last week and it cost me 90 bucks. It's getting to the point
where I am going to have to start casting bullets again. I go through a

lot
of lead and the price is getting so high that casting is starting to

become
a reality again. But it's so boring and time consuming I hate to have to
start doing it again.

Hawke

OSB prices went nuts after start of the war and are back to normal or at
least close to it.

Casting lead isn't that boring. Since you apparently reload already you

have
some tolerance for repeated manual opperations. For pistol work cast lead
works just fine. I tend to watch tv (cspan) while casting so it isn't
totally dead time.

I gotta rebuild my 50 yard backstop next year. I made it out of 4' x 4'
panels of scrap osb from work a few years ago built into a box filled with
sand. The OSB has failed on one side. I'm going to use pressure treated
this time and it think it is time to sift the sand that fills it to get my
lead back.

Cast is good stuff for many applications. http://www.castbulletassoc.org/

If you are sold on jacketed, have you considerd swaging aka corbin?

Wes

I'm not sold on jacked at all. In fact, I shoot almost exclusively lead. Up
until recently lead bullets were reasonably priced and allowed me to shoot
my customary 300 rounds a week pretty inexpensively. Now it's getting way
too expensive. Like I said, I don't relish casting over a thousand lead
bullets a month. But what's worse than the casting is the lube/sizing that
has to be done too. That really makes it a time consuming pain in the ass.
But with .45 caliber bullets going to .09 a piece I may start up again. One
good thing is that my supplier for .357 hollow base wadcutters has some in
stock, not the 2000 I wanted but he has a few 500 piece bags and they still
go for around a nickel each. That's more like it. I guess I'll have to hope
for a recession so commodities will be in less demand and prices will come
down. Looks like you get a bad deal either way. Prices only go in one
direction...up. I sure wish they would stop printing so much money. It's
getting to be worthless. I bought a loaf of rye bread today. It was $3.27.
The money is getting worth less and less every day.

Hawke