Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kostas Kavoussanakis Kostas Kavoussanakis is offline

Default Replacing old Honeywell thermostat with Honeywell 907

Thank you John and Roger for the quick answer.

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Roger Mills wrote:

Kostas Kavoussanakis wrote:

I would like to replace my old (80s) Honeywell room thermostat with
the 907. It's a very common model.

snip

Am I right that this a DIY job? I know I need to switch the boiler
off at the mains and drop the fuse while the wife and kids are out
shopping :-)

Your last question worries me! It's a simple job - well within the scope of
a *competent* DIY-er - but the fact that you had to ask, and couldn't work
it out from the Honeywell literature - not to mention being uncertain as how
to isolate it when working on it - makes me wonder whether maybe you should
be getting some professional help.

Thanks for your concern; what's uncertain about dropping the fuse? :-)
Sure, I will check for current at the terminals as well, isn't that
standard?

The reason why I felt compelled to ask if it's DIY was the quote I got
from my gasman for this replacement: 70 pounds. Also, the standard set
of questions from Honeywell mentions a sub-base as a possibility; I am
not sure how that is defined, so I thought this could be an issue. In
general I thought I had underestimated its complexity.

Also, it's a moot point whether it's notifiable under the dreaded Part P -
since central heating controls seem to come within its scope. I'm not sure
how convincingly you could argue that it's a 'like for like' replacement.

That's important to me: who does one ask? My case would be that it's
"like for like" in the sense that the new thermostat performs the same
electrical task; it just does it in a internally different way.

Thanks!

Kostas