Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cracked concrete slab new home

On Oct 22, 6:08 pm, "Steve Barker" wrote:
And he'll say. "ya, ok. go ahead, bill away".

"Noozer" wrote in message

"hands on" wrote in message
oups.com...
I purchased a new home in spring 2005 in Leland,NC. Since then I was
replacing the flooring and found 5 10 foot long cracks in my on ground
poured concrete slab. I also have 6 vertical cracks on the outside of
my slab between ground level and the start of the siding.

It's structural. Simply inform the builder, using a certified letter, that
you expect action on this item and that if no response is recieved within
30 days that you will take the repair into your own hands and bill the
builder.- Hide quoted text -

I agree it would be a big mistake to actually just hire someone to fix
it after 30 days and then try to collect from the builder or any
warranty that exists. To begin with, without a structural engineer,
how would you know what needs to be fixed and what the proper way to
do it is?

This could also be very expensive. If you just hire some local
contractor, pay him $15K to fix God knows what, I think you'd have a
hard time collecting from the builder or warranty company. They will
just say it wasn't structural and it's their opinion versus some
contractor.

On the other hand, if you send them a qualified engineer's report that
says it's structural, due to faulty construction, etc, it's going to
be hard for them to ignore that. And I'd invite them to come meet
with the engineer to review it, inspect it again themselves, etc. If
you get nowhere with that, then you could have it fixed and if
necessary, sue and likely win.