Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default Cordless Drill Battery vs. H.F. Brands

"TH" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 22, 6:35 am, Manster wrote:
I have a 12V Porter Cable cordless drill and 2 re-chargeable batteries.
I'd say the unit is approx. 6-8 years old and it has performed well.
The batteries are going kapoot but I use the tool so seldom anymore that
I don't warrant a new drill. I checked for batteries online and the
cheapest I found them were $53 + s&t, putting them around
$60.http://www.realdealtools.com/product...roducts_id=499

I got to wondering about the quality of the Harbor Freight brands (not
Makita or DeWalt) of cordless drills, primarily due to their low prices.
I realize that for the most part one gets what they pay for, but do
these $20-$100 drills have much quality to them?http://tinyurl.com/2n3eep

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Get a Ryobi from Home Depot. They're cheap and work really well. you
can buy replacement batteries 2 for ~30 bucks. I've had mine for a
couple years now, and it performs very well. You can buy a whole new
drill with 2 batteries for about the price of one replacement battery
for a Dewalt or Makita.

Or go to a pawn shop and get a Milwaukee for under $100 and get a quality
unit. I have a Ryobi hammer/drill and the gears were so soft that using the
hammer portion once loosened the shaft from the gears. I can not even get
the chuck off to replace the gear. It is cheaper to replace the whole
drill. Forget Dewalt as the clutch is useless. The minimum setting drives
deck screws all the way through the boards!