Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Jon Jon is offline

Default What kind of hardwood floor is this?

Aaron,

I own a farmhouse in Eastern PA, and the second floor and above all have
yellow pine original floors. The downstairs has maple, which was redone
back in the 40's after removing the entire original floors, not sure why. It
has been in our family since the 1700's. My grandfather had it redone for
some unknown reason. I think when they had the house replumbed and rewired
for safety as there were two small fires in the electrical outlets in the
floor. What I like are the grates in the floor, you can look down from the
3rd floor and see the kitchen 2 stories below! The other one in the back
of the house makes a good laundry chute to the basement! You can get yellow
pine today that should match, I was able to a few years back but make sure
you go to a reputable wood dealer. My yellow pine came from the southeast
as I needed over 1000bf. I wanted to finish the attic in the same wood and
replace some damaged floor areas, to day I cannot tell where we patched in
the newer wood in the floor. At first it was noticable but in a couple of
years, you could not distinguish the two. Get a good qualified wood floor
person in your area to do the job right the first time. I did my attic
space and used it for practice, the subfloor was random width pine with gaps
up to 3/4". The attic is now my daughter's play area.

Jon

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 22, 2:01 pm, "Not@home" wrote:
My home was build in about 1925, and at that time is was common practice
to use good hardwood in the "public" areas (first floor living and
dining room and stairways, for example) but to use either pine or
douglas fir in the "family" areas (upstairs bedrooms and attic). The
douglas fir available at that time was a better grade wood than what you
see today, unless you can find a source of old growth fir.

Getting a good match with new wood will be difficult. If there are any
closets with matching wood, you could use that wood and replace it with
new wood in the closet, since no-one will notice a closet. Otherwise,
you might have to find an inconspicuous area and scavage the wood from
there. If you have the time and talent, you could build some sort of
pattern or border into the floor with new wood and use the old for your
repair.

Hi,

Thanks for the recommendations. To clarify, yes the floor was sanded
and poly-ed.

I was told by my floor refinisher that these floors would be to
brittle to take out of a closet and move to the area of interest.
Also, according to him, there's virtually no way of getting them out
of the floor without busting circular saw blades on the nails.
Finally, he's claim is that b/c it's tongue in groove, that these
boards are "used-up" and cannot be re-used.

What do you guys think?

Thanks again,

Aaron