Rob McDonald

Default HELP: Single Point Thread Cutting

Greg Menke wrote in
:

Rob McDonald writes:

... I recently tried to cut a 3/8-40 thread ...

I had a similar problem turning threads on similar material- I gave up
on trying to get a smooth finish on the lathe, and switched to
"burnishing" on a wire wheel. Probably rank heresy but it did clean
up the burr pretty well. I was doing 1/4-20, that 40tpi might not
burnish so well...

Gregm

Thanks Greg,

This one needs to be close fitting and smooth running so that wouldn't do
here. Besides, this is a point of honor now :-) I want to figure out what I
am doing wrong and make a good thread.

Rob