Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Cordless Drill Battery vs. H.F. Brands

On 22 Oct, 14:16, Phisherman wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 07:35:44 -0700, Manster wrote:
I have a 12V Porter Cable cordless drill and 2 re-chargeable batteries.
I'd say the unit is approx. 6-8 years old and it has performed well.
The batteries are going kapoot but I use the tool so seldom anymore that
I don't warrant a new drill. I checked for batteries online and the
cheapest I found them were $53 + s&t, putting them around $60.
http://www.realdealtools.com/product...roducts_id=499

I got to wondering about the quality of the Harbor Freight brands (not
Makita or DeWalt) of cordless drills, primarily due to their low prices.
I realize that for the most part one gets what they pay for, but do
these $20-$100 drills have much quality to them?
http://tinyurl.com/2n3eep

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I wouldn't expect a cordless drill to last longer than 10 years. A
Harbor Freight brand, maybe a couple years if that. Costwise, you
can't beat a corded drill--the cheapest brand will outlast any
cordless.- Hide quoted text -

-- the cheapest (corded) brand will outlast any cordless.

That's because you waste so much time getting out the extension cord,
unrolling it, walking to the outlet, plugging it in, walking to work
site, walking back, unplugging it, rolling it back up, storing it etc.
etc. that you only get 1/4 of the work done. Any corded drill will
last 4 times as long by default. ;-)