Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Cordless Drill Battery vs. H.F. Brands

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 07:35:44 -0700, Manster wrote:

I have a 12V Porter Cable cordless drill and 2 re-chargeable batteries.
I'd say the unit is approx. 6-8 years old and it has performed well.
The batteries are going kapoot but I use the tool so seldom anymore that
I don't warrant a new drill. I checked for batteries online and the
cheapest I found them were $53 + s&t, putting them around $60.
http://www.realdealtools.com/product...roducts_id=499

I got to wondering about the quality of the Harbor Freight brands (not
Makita or DeWalt) of cordless drills, primarily due to their low prices.
I realize that for the most part one gets what they pay for, but do
these $20-$100 drills have much quality to them?
http://tinyurl.com/2n3eep

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I wouldn't expect a cordless drill to last longer than 10 years. A
Harbor Freight brand, maybe a couple years if that. Costwise, you
can't beat a corded drill--the cheapest brand will outlast any
cordless.