Posted to alt.home.repair
IGot2P IGot2P is offline

Default Cordless Drill Battery vs. H.F. Brands

Manster wrote:
I have a 12V Porter Cable cordless drill and 2 re-chargeable batteries.
I'd say the unit is approx. 6-8 years old and it has performed well.
The batteries are going kapoot but I use the tool so seldom anymore that
I don't warrant a new drill. I checked for batteries online and the
cheapest I found them were $53 + s&t, putting them around $60.
http://www.realdealtools.com/product...roducts_id=499

I got to wondering about the quality of the Harbor Freight brands (not
Makita or DeWalt) of cordless drills, primarily due to their low prices.
I realize that for the most part one gets what they pay for, but do
these $20-$100 drills have much quality to them?
http://tinyurl.com/2n3eep

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Surprisingly the drill that you referenced (ITEM 44849-1VGA) is actually
a pretty decent drill for home use. The chuck works well and the battery
holds a good charge. The weak point is the bushings/bearings in the main
drive. They will eventually wear out if used a lot, but again they are
great for home use. I have three (yes, three) of this exact model that I
use regularly for everything from hanging pictures to building 800+ feet
of fence. Although I have wore out a drill or two, the batteries have
always remained good and thus make great extras.

Don