Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Overflowing Dishwasher

On Oct 22, 12:19 pm, Chris wrote:
SMcK wrote:

A GE Convertible Dishwasher - essentially a portable that's been set
up as semi-permanent by having permanent hoses run to and from the
sink - is at least 9 years old. If water is supplied to it, the water
will fill the bottom of the tub until it overflows. This seems to
happen no matter where the timer is set. It happens whether the
washer is plugged in or not, and whether the door is latched or open.
I can succesfully pump water out by advancing the timer to the drain
cycle.

I suspect the inlet valve as described he

http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appli...inletvalve.php

I've found valves for sale online that appear to be the same or
close. These run about $30. I'm tempted to order one and try it.
I'm sure the wife would prefer a new machine.

Any other theories as to what's wrong? Suggestions as to how to
proceed?

TIA,
-Scott

I had a similar issue with my dishwasher. It came with the house so I'm not
sure how old it is. Inside my dishwasher, at the bottom, there is a covered
floater. I took the cover off, cleaned it, cleaned the floater mechanism as
best I could, then re-attached the cover. The dishwasher isn't over flowing
now. Perhaps you have a similar rig in your dishwasher?

--
Chris- Hide quoted text -

I think Chris may have had a sticking over-fill switch? See item (3)
of my post.
However maybe it could be? that in some washers when that switch
floats up it tells the washer it has a sufficient level of water to
start washing? Seems unlikely however that there wouldn't also be some
means of averting too much water going into the washer and causing
overflow? I guess designs differ.