Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need to stain cherry to dark cherry

On Oct 20, 6:56 pm, "CraigT" wrote:

SNIP

it's obvious that I'm going to need to stain it to get that typical dark cherry that I'm looking for. Is there something at the home centers that'll do this or am I going to have to order something online to get that dark cherry I'm looking for out of this cherry?

Sorry Craig, I was intrigued by hex's post and went OT.

I would think that you might strike out at any of the home stores, but
as far as colorants go you have some good suggestions with the Old
Masters, but I would stick to the gel products - they are excellent.

Prcatice a little on another piece of wood, not your project so you
can see how fast you work. If you need to, you can thin the gel a bit
to make it work easier and to have less witness marks on your laps.
Other gels aren't that forgiving.

For me, I would mix up some Behlens Solar Lux (online, Woodcraft,
etc.) and spray it on. I get great performance from this product, and
for its use, I don't think any other product out there can match it.
Great depth of color, great consistency, and takes any finish you
apply very well.

Robert