Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Not@home Not@home is offline

Default What kind of hardwood floor is this?

My home was build in about 1925, and at that time is was common practice
to use good hardwood in the "public" areas (first floor living and
dining room and stairways, for example) but to use either pine or
douglas fir in the "family" areas (upstairs bedrooms and attic). The
douglas fir available at that time was a better grade wood than what you
see today, unless you can find a source of old growth fir.

Getting a good match with new wood will be difficult. If there are any
closets with matching wood, you could use that wood and replace it with
new wood in the closet, since no-one will notice a closet. Otherwise,
you might have to find an inconspicuous area and scavage the wood from
there. If you have the time and talent, you could build some sort of
pattern or border into the floor with new wood and use the old for your
repair.

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I need to replace a section of the floor and I'm wondering what kind
of wood this is to come up with as close a match as possible:

http://freeboundaries.com/floor1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/floor2.jpg

It is the floor in the attic of a 1930's stone colonial in eastern PA.
It has a very uniform feel. There is no stain - it was recently
refinished and covered with two coats of polyurethane. It's tongue-in-
groove.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron Fude