Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default What kind of hardwood floor is this?

In article . com, ransley wrote:
On Oct 22, 7:10 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com,
Aaron Fude wrote:
I need to replace a section of the floor and I'm wondering what
kind of wood this is to come up with as close a match as possible:

http://freeboundaries.com/floor1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/floor2.jpg

Not hardwood at all. It's yellow pine.

Or Douglas fir. Since you are in Pennsylvania, most probably yellow
pine.

Probably yellow pine, but new wood will not have the aged look and
will require a real wood pro to stain it correctly, like a pro
furniture refinisher, not a floor guy. Cant you remove wood from maybe
a closet.

He said it was "refinished" which I took to mean that it was sanded as well.
If that's the case, then new wood may actually be a pretty good match -- but
if it wasn't sanded, just stripped and revarnished, then as you say, new wood
will not match, probably not even with stain.

--
Regards,