Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian G Brian G is offline

Default window friction hinge problem

sm_jamieson wrote:
On 22 Oct, 13:19, "Brian G" wrote:
Fred wrote:
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:09:49 +0100, "Brian G"
wrote:

I bought a pair but I notice the holes do not line up with the
ones in the original. Is this a problem? What is behind the uPVC?
Is it a wooden frame? If so, could I just put the screw where the
new holes are?

Just insert the screws into the frame using the holes in the new
hinges - different makes have different locations. Just remember
not to overtighten the screws as the 'thread' will easily strip in
the uPVC.
[...]
Generally nothing in the uPVC - unless the window or sash is of
such a size that it needs reinforcement - and that will usually be
either steel or aluminium.

Thanks for your advice.

Is a upvc window just a plastic frame then? I never knew that. I
always thought the plastic covered a frame of wood or metal or
something.

Fred,

That's all a UPVC frame is - a hollow, extruded lump of plastic that
comes
in various shapes and sizes - have a look at the profile
herehttp://www.qualplas.co.uk/windows.html

Brian G

If you look at those pictures, there is metal tubular reinforcement.
Simon.

Simon,

I presume the reply is to my post?

The reinforcing shown in that picture is for illustration only. It does not
form part of the manufacturing process of the plastic profile - that is just
plastic.

This reinforcing is loosely 'slipped into' the plastic during the making of
the actual window or door as required to strenghten the required
component(s) because of their length or weight they have to carry.

Brian G