Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water heater question

On Oct 22, 8:26 am, dgk wrote:
It looks like the tank is finally going since it's wet underneath it.
I'm guessing that because gas is involved I had best just pick one out
at Sears or somewhere and have it installed? I'm ok at fixing stuff
but I don't think I want to mess around with gas.

How long do I have if the floor was damp around it?

First, I'd identify where the water is coming from. Make sure there
is no obvious source, like a leaking fitting, the T&P relief valve, or
the drain valve. If it's coming from the tank failing, I'd say time
is of the essence. It could continue to just leak slowly for a long
time, or it could suddenly get much worse, with water gushing out.

While looking for a new one, I'd get one of the $10 alarms available
at the home centers or hardware stores. They run on batteries and sit
on the floor. You should have one anyway. You can set it at some
point away from where the water is now, and at least you'll get an
alarm if it gets worse. I'd also shut off the water to it whenever
leaving the home for anything over maybe an hour.